Would you like to learn a new skill that will benefit your digestive (‘gut’) health, while providing you with a delicious alternative to store bought bread? This Danish Dark Rye Bread workshop will teach you the secret to caring for your sourdough starter and walk you through the process of baking your own wholegrain dark rye loaf. This popular Northern European style bread is difficult to source in Melbourne, so why not bake your own!
Danish Dark Rye Bread is a simple and easy bread to make and once you’ve learnt the traditional techniques you will fall in love with this healthy and nutritious style of baking.
Our resident Dane and Danish Rye Bread expert Ninna Katrine will guide you through a two day baking process in just 2.5 hours, leaving you with the knowledge and passion to continue making and experimenting with these traditional baking methods at home.
What you will learn:
- How to make a Danish Dark Rye wholegrain loaf of bread
- Understand the timeline and stages to create the bread with minimal effort
- How to make and care for an authentic Danish style sourdough starter culture
At the conclusion of the workshop you will have a basic understanding of:
- How to create and look after your own Sourdough starter culture
- The different ingredients and their role in the bread baking process
- The equipment needed to produce a great looking and tasting Danish Rye Bread loaf at home
- The secrets and tricks to creating the perfect loaf and avoid mistakes
- What wholegrain bread dough looks and feels like at its various stages of preparation and development
During this hands on workshop you will learn how to make your own sourdough starter culture and take it home. You will mix two stages of the Danish Dark Rye bread and get dough for two breads to take home. We will observe the final stage of baking a loaf and of course taste it at the end!
The workshop will include:
- Recipe and workshop notes
- Sourdough culture to care for
- Dough for two loaves of bread
- A discount on a professional quality bread tin
ATTENTION: A bread tin is needed for the workshop. You can either BYO bread tin or purchase one from Bee Sustainable.