Join our curds and whey expert Jacqueline Bender as she demystifies the art of making two of Italy’s most beloved cheeses.
What you will learn:
- How to coagulate milk with acid and rennet
- Drain curds from whey
- Stretch and shape mozzarella
- How to make whole milk ricotta
We will make mozzarella and ricotta from bio-dynamic milk (or organic if unavailable) to be eaten at the conclusion of the class. Ricotta will be made from whole milk (paneer style), which we will roll in home-made dukkah (chopped nuts and spices).
The class also includes a discount of 20% on any kit or cheesemaking items you may purchase on the day.
Jacqueline Bender has been educating cheesemakers for 6 years. She has lived and worked on farms in Victoria where she ran a herd of dairy goats and was responsible for the farm’s weekly cheesemaking. Fresh goat’s cheese such as feta, halloumi and chevre were the farm’s speciality. She also makes alpine-style hard cheeses and mould-ripened stinky cheeses from cow’s milk. Cheesemaking is an integral part of her self-sufficient lifestyle, which includes keeping bees, chickens and small-goods processing.
The workshop includes:
- Recipes and the essential techniques of cheesemaking
- A tasting of the cheeses made, plus other cheeses at the conclusion of the workshop (a small cheese party)
- Notes about the major steps of cheesemaking and resources for quality milk and supplies
- A 20% discount on cheesemaking kits and equipment purchased in conjunction with the workshop